Friday, May 29, 2009

On the menu: flip flops, stuffed animals and plastic squeakers

On Wednesday, Bandit at the plastic straps off a pair of cheap flip flops. Yesterday morning at 5 am, he barfed up a decent portion of the plastic, but I was watching all day to make sure the rest of it ... er, came out ... so he didn't end up with a clog in his intestines. Our vet says that he often has to perform surgery on dogs who eat stuff that gets stuck in their digestive tract and then causes a blockage that could be fatal.

Bandit pooped out the rest of the flip flop later yesterday afternoon - and then went on to eat part of a stuffed racoon toy, including the entire plastic squeaker. The whole sqeaker, except one teeny, tiny, almost microscopic piece.

He had been chewing a Kong bone while I lay on the couch reading a book; I dozed off for about a 1/2 hour and I woke up to him coughing up the tiny piece of the plastic squeaker. Can't believe I didn't hear him eating the rest of it.

I watched him the rest of the day to see if any of that plastic and material would come out, but right on time, at 5 am this morning he barfed up a huge wad of material, about the size of 1/2 a hot dog. What a relief. But before I could reach into his crate to clean it, he ate it. He ate the material again! Now I have to watch him the rest of the day to make sure it all comes out ... somehow.

I'm reminded of Proverbs 26:11: "As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly"; it's a good illustration of how we continue to return to our sinful behavior, regardless of how bad - and sometimes dangerous - it can be.

So now we wait to make sure the material and squeaker plastic comes out - again.

No comments: